Looking for a decadent Gluten Free meal you can make at home for cheap? Sounds impossible…
But it’s not! Now we explore home made gluten free pasta.
½ cup GF flour to 1 egg ratio.
Pinch of salt
- Egg to Flour ratio is based on using Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour, others may vary
- 1.5 cups of flour and 3 eggs serves two people
- Each egg will be different in size, with different whites to yellows ratios as well. You cannot follow a strict recipe each time, you’ll need to feel the dough
- Dough needs to be soft, not sticky, not hard. You should be able to press your finger into it without crumbling or without the dough sticking to your finger.
- Add flour and more egg as needed to obtain correct consistency. Dust your workspaces with flour so dough doesn’t stick.
- Clean a flat surface to use to roll out dough.
- Lay down parchment paper or plastic wrap over workspace to save some time on clean-up. Dust work surface with gluten free flour.
- Cut the dough into four parts so they are easier sizes to work with.
- Use rolling pin (or wine bottle if you don’t have one!) to flatten dough in a long, rectangular shape.
- Flatten close to desired thickness if you have a pasta machine.
- If you are hand-rolling your pasta, continue to roll until desired thickness. Some pastas thicker, some thinner.
- The easiest pasta for me to make without a machine is a fettucine type noodle. I simply cut long strips down rolled out sheets with a butter knife.
- Heavily salt a pot of water and bring to a boil. Add noodles for a minute, two minutes if they are thicker noodles.
All of this sounds complicated and difficult, but by the 3rd time you’ll be making homemade pasta in 20 minutes. I won’t lie to you, it definitely takes more time than boxed pasta, but it is a world of difference in taste and quality control over ingredients.
Boil pasta for a minute in heavily salted water, it cooks much faster than boxed pasta does!
Top with your favorite sauce, or simply grate some cheese on top with fresh cracked black pepper.
Sauce recipes coming soon, stay tuned!